Did you know that choosing the right food after your physical therapy can help with muscle soreness and pain? Choose smart – suffer less. Tart cherry juice – can minimize muscle pain and help to regenerate sore muscles as you sleep.
- Turmeric – helps reduce the pain associated with delayed onset of muscle soreness, reduce injury, and improve recovery of muscle performance.
- Salmon – loaded with anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats, antioxidants, and muscle-building protein, salmon is a close-to-perfect post-workout food.
- Watermelon – boosts important amino acids that can help sore muscles.
- Eggs – a source of leucine, which is linked to muscle recovery.
- Bananas – a great source of electrolyte potassium, which may help reduce muscle soreness post-gym.
- Green tea – rich in anti-inflammatory antioxidants is the perfect pre-or post-workout drink to prevent muscle and cell damage related to exercise.
- Nuts and seeds – provide essential Omega-3 fatty acids to fight inflammation and proteins for muscle synthesis and growth.
Additional resources for our patients:
- What Are the Best Foods to Eat After an Intense Workout?, Healthline
- What to Eat Before, During, and After Exercise, WebMed
- The best foods to fuel a workout, Mayo Clinic
- Tips to Recover from a Workout, American Physical Therapy Association